Monday, January 23, 2012

My cannes (spelling?) have spider mites all....?

over them in the summer for two years now. They are outside in a bed about 5ft by 3ft. I can't get ride of them! I was wondering if there's anything I could do now before the summer is here and my plants/flowers are already grown.

My cannes (spelling?) have spider mites all....?
Scroll to the bottom of this screen for items that control spider mites:



http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect...
Reply:You might want to start with preventative spraying long before they become infested. As soon as they come up, start on a weekly or biweekly spraying schedule. If you want to use a good chemical that smells kinda nasty, but works, try Malathion. If you want a safer alternative, try insecticidal soap. They are very difficult to control though since they take up on the underside of the leaves....be sure you are getting your spray mist there, spraying the tops of the leaves won't do any good....Cannas are large leaved plants and get big, so I think the early intervention would be wise. Also, clean up old plant litter that is on the ground around them and spray the soil good too...that is where they are overwintering.


No comments:

Post a Comment