Friday, January 27, 2012

I pinch off flowering tips of my basil but it doesn't grow back?

In place of where they were I have little brown/black tips where I plucked them off. I keep up with watering and it's in lots of sunlight (actually close to 100% probably as its sunny florida) is that normal?



Also as a side note I have a spider living in it I think, I found some spider web in the leaves. Is it ok to leave him there or will he eat plant? I was hoping he'd eat the bugs off of it and I think spiders are kind of cute. thanks

I pinch off flowering tips of my basil but it doesn't grow back?
There is not supposed to be growth where the flowers are plucked from... it does encourage growth, though, because when a plant is not putting its energy into producing flowers and seeds it will begin to put energy into new growth. Also, if you do not pluck the flowers the basil leaves will begin to have a slightly bitter taste.



If you do not want to throw out the flowers, you can use them as a garnish, some people think they look pretty... :)

beaded necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment