Monday, January 30, 2012

What is eating my bougainvillea?

In a matter of two weeks my beautiful bougainvillea has gone from full and flowering to barely clinging to a few remaining leaves. It is a young plant (about 3 feet tall) and it has been rainy and cool lately (I'm in Miami). However, I don't believe that these conditions are too much to blame. What worries me most is that it looks like its being nibbled on but I can find no insects (perhaps bacteria?). I don't think its spider mites and it looks like its spreading to my tomatoes.

Can my plant be salvaged?

What is eating my bougainvillea?
It sounds like it coulld be a type of caterpillar...but don't take my word for it. You need to inspect the plant at night...at this point you need to look at the tomato...many insects will eat at night. Use a flashlight to look around the undersides of leaves and the base of the plant...even under pots, rocks nearbye for a possible culprit (that's where slugs hide). To be sure you know what it is you must catch the insect in action...ie don't just use an insecticide. Your local nursery should be able to help if you find anything. If it's caterpillars you can use BtK...a biological control, less harmful to other organisms.

Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment