Friday, January 27, 2012

Question on redback spiders (for knowledgeable Australians only please!)?

I'm a recent emigrant to the east coast of Australia (NSW). I was dusting today and brushed away what I thought was a cobweb under my TV unit, whereupon a redback spider jumped down and looked pretty upset that I'd trashed its home.



I've been told previously that although there are lots of redbacks outdoors around here, they usually don't come in, and outside they go for damp areas like under the rim of plant pots, garbage bins etc. My house is not at all damp and the underside of the TV unit certainly isn't. Is my house likely to be infested? Also, the house has been sprayed for cockroaches and spiders - does this mean I should be getting the pest guys back in to do it properly?



Thanks very much in advance for any help. My daughter was actually bitten by a redback in the garden a couple of weeks ago but luckily she didn't get ill. We also saw a massive huntsman on the back patio the next day. I'm starting to worry and think the Aussie spiders have it in for us now!!!!!

Question on redback spiders (for knowledgeable Australians only please!)?
Yes get the Pest Guy back to make sure he has used the right spray. When yards and houses get sprayed it causes the bugs to leave home and find one that is not 'life threatening' and under the TV would have been warm, dark, and if you have 'humidity' in your house that equals damp in times of crisis.

Red backs don't usually come in doors so he may have travelled with you when you moved.

And please don't take it personally, our spiders do it to us too. Having "new neighbours" brings out the best and worst in all things Australian, including spiders.
Reply:If you are getting red back spiders into your house then it might not be a bad idea to enlist the help of a pest man to come and check it out. Red Backs can be fairly aggressive. As for the huntsman spiders, they are usually harmless to humans. I have only ever heard of hunstman spiders attacking people if they start to poke sticks at them or purposly try to make them angry. Although the look quite nasty, we have had huntsman spiders (big ones the size of a hand) live in our house for long periods of time. They tend to keep other bugs away too.. lol





Nate


No comments:

Post a Comment