Sunday, January 8, 2012

House Plant Emergency!?

The heat went out in my 4 season porch without me realizing it and my plants have been subjected to harsh temperatures(between 30 and 6 degrees, darn cold snap) for at least a whole day. They are now extremely droopy and some are squishy, some have turned brown depending on the plant. I have Boston ferns, kalanchoe, spider plants, prayer plants, christmas cactus, african violets, dwarf palms and others that i can't remember the name of right now. I want to know if I can possibly save any of them (the spider plants look the best) and what I can do to do so. Also, how do I know if the soil is frozen? It feels cold, but it is not like blocks of ice or anything like that.

House Plant Emergency!?
Ouch. It will depend on the plant. The droopy ones might have a chance. The squishy ones are compost - the "squishy" means the water in the cells forze, expanded, and burst the cellular walls. They're goners.



You'll just have to wait and see if any of them make it.
Reply:they may bounce back, put some room temp tea water on them.

get them covered at the bottom of pots to save roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment