Sunday, January 8, 2012

Can't decide on what to plant. I'm a zone 9/10?

I have a covered walkway with a low brick wall in the front of our home with a small bed in front of the wall. I finally decided to finsh the bed right instead of throwing some annuals in there in April and calling it a day. But it just seems so bare.



I have a kangaroo's paw front and center, a Agapanthus on each end with 3 spider plants rounding it out. Now I need some color. I am not happy with the Kangaroo at all and I would like to replace it with something else. I want something large enough to fill out the space but not a tree or anything too large that will shoot the roots under my home.



Because I have nearly no time for maintenance

(alarm clock screams at me at 2:45 am and I get home at 5pm)



I also need ideas for Perennials that are survivors. I installed a drip system and mulched with bark. The area gets morning eastern exposure and the summers are extrememly hot and dry with winds (Saramento Valley zone 9/10)



Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated

Can't decide on what to plant. I'm a zone 9/10?
Hi! I live just south of you. The plant that I have in the same location as you (south/east) in a bed just like yours is the Martha Washington geranium. They bloom thoughout the summer and can withstand our winters. If you buy a good size plant (1 or 2ft.) this bush will thrive for years. The only maintainance is to prune it when it gets leggy.

Feel free to contact me. The summers are a challenge here.
Reply:Im not real familiar with plants for your area...where I live we are 4-7 so your lucky!! You get everything we consider a perennial. I do have a couple ideas. For the area you were talking about try a genetically dwarfed fruit tree. Such as a peach or necterine. Minimal maintance on those. Outstanding blooms.



As far as survivors for plants...if you mean more drought tollerant. God for Shasta Daisy's and any gray folliaged plant. They will be more drought resistant. Cosmo's are good annuals to cover an area..however they spread like wild fire!! Beautiful tho when in bloom!!


No comments:

Post a Comment