Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What are these bugs on my weeping p. willow trees?

I have the tiny bugs in a web like structure all over my trees. I noticed a 'web' Friday which I thought was a spider web and didn't pay much attention to it, however, I went to water them today and seen those 'webs' covering the trees with tiny bugs, hundreds of them, crawling all over the web. These plants I keep indoors for now; my mother just bought them for me from Lowes about a month ago...in case that's relevant for some reason. Anyway, can someone please tell me what these are and what I can do about it! I prefer a home remedy if possible because I don't really like all the chemical stuff but I'll use whatever I need to to save the plants. I am afraid these bugs will kill them and/or invade my other house plants. Please help!

What are these bugs on my weeping p. willow trees?
Tent caterpillars are probably correct.

The best and safest way to eliminate them is with fire.

I would say you could also try soapy water, but these worms have a hairy body and not likely to be bothered by the soap.

If you need a chem. Malathion should do the trick.

I prefer pythirns because they are fairly safe and deadly in worms.
Reply:I believe what you are talking about are tent caterpillars. Do they look like caterpillars? If so, that is probably what they are. Seeing as how they are caterpillars, they are probably not a good thing to have in your trees as they will could do a fair amount of damage. If you aren't worried about the willow tree, though, the other plants should be fine. Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment