Sunday, January 8, 2012

Spider plants have tiny flies?

I have two spider plants that are pretty close to each other. They are both infested with tiny flies in andn around the plants.



What is the best method to kill the flies and the larva without hurting the spider plants?

Spider plants have tiny flies?
if they are dark little gnats they will be living in the soil itself. You can re pot the plants in clean soil and try not to over water. There is a Bt product that only effects the larvae so it breaks the life cycle and they will start disappearing, or you can mix with the water you water the plants with any insecticide that is labeled to do so, even dilute it a couple times more than what the label calls for and as you water the plant they die out.



setting the plants outside or spraying an insecticide on the plants won't stop fungus gnats for they are live in the wet soil itself. You will only be effecting the adults not the larvae.
Reply:I have the same exact problem! They look like fruit flies but aren't. I asked my mother, and she suggested to put them outside for a bit.



I guess the cooler air will deter the flies from wanting to create a home in your plant.



I also heard of a soap/water combination in a spray bottle. Just spritz the leaves and they leave the plant alone.



I haven't tried either of these methods, but once the winter weather fades maybe I'll try putting them outside for a bit first.


No comments:

Post a Comment