Monday, January 23, 2012

Question for the horticulturists?

I have a potted orange tree that’s almost three years old and it’s about a foot and a half high. I started this tree from seed and planted it in miracle grow soil. I repotted it only once. I live in northern Vermont and the tree lives indoors. I water it weekly and right now it’s living next to spider plants. It was doing fine until now. The problem with this tree is that it is starting to discard the new leaves that grow at its ends. Then I also noticed orange crystals growing on the branches of my orange tree where the new leaves fall off. Does this orange tree have a disease?

Question for the horticulturists?
I am not a horticulturist (mom is) but I would think:



a) it has a disease... the orange "crystals" lead me to believe it is aphid-like...



b) the pot may be too small... I don't know how big an orange tree of your variety is supposed to get but it probably needs some more space and fresh soil.



c) You have an orange tree in Vermont... they are not native to Vermont are very sensitive to climate where they "naturally" grow.



d) ONE orange tree may not be able to grow by itself... some plants need more of their kind to survive.... they need to pollenate with other trees that bear the same fruit or they will give up hope and die.



Like I said, I am not a Hort. so this advice is completely unfounded but I think you may have reached mother nature's limits with this little expiriment.



Good Luck.
Reply:most likely your tree is either root bound or over watered or not getting enough heat or light



make sure it is close to a window and far away from air conditioner vents



makes sure its roots haven't out grown the pots



feel of the soil, check for it to be too wet or too dry....perfect soil will have a bouncy, not wet, feel...too much water causes root rot


No comments:

Post a Comment